Halfway through December means halfway through Dicember also! I’ve got to say, it’s been a fun couple of weeks. It feels wonderful to be going about the business of writing silly words about elves and witches and doodling goofy four-legged chickens and whatnot once more. What’s more, there have been a few others I’ve seen out there on the internet also joining along on Dyson Logos’ wild Dicember 2021 ride, and it’s been a pleasure to read what they’ve written and drawn.
I thought I’d take a moment to remember my favorites thus far and spread the word in recognition of the efforts of those delightful creative minds who have put out ideas that have inspired my mind one way or another so far. While I’ve enjoyed every one I’ve seen, some really awesome bits have come out this month and I hope they are as neat to you as they are for me. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Souls, and the Selling Thereof – Prompt #7 DAEMON – Beloch Shrike has a really cute mechanic for the in-game sale of one’s soul to Satan, and it feel’s perfect. It’s game-y in the best ways D&D is a game, and it’s fitting of the narrative quality of a devil’s bargain in the right measure that adds gravitas and future complications to play. Seriously just terrific.
- Vine – Prompt #12 HELP – Taichara’s written a short post that builds something really clever: a decentralized, mutual aid concern of adventurers, for who else better knows the trials and difficulties of the dungeon delve and forest foray than other knaves and daredevils?
- Flameskull – Prompt #10 SKULL – Instagram has creators playing along with Dicember too, and the algorithm over there has shown me a couple of pieces by @maiwetheelf now. This one in particular really caught my eye – such intense light!
- The PCs Have Entered A Strange Forest – Prompt #11 FOREST – All month long James V West has been doing his Dicember posts over on Twitter. Many of them have taken the form of paired d20 tables like this one has, and they’re really cool. It’s great to see the variety of options such a simple mechanism can produce.
- Fiamme Sopite – Prompt #4 RAGE – How cool and classic is this little scenario/setting? Giovanni Tamba on Twitter came up with a great play on this prompt by cramming a bunch of cool ideas into a really charming illustration (peep the minotaur and the harpy, transformed by sinister magic rituals!). I liked it so much I asked permission to translate it to English for the broader audience and Giovanni went ahead and one-upped me by doing it himself!
This is just a tiny sampling of some of the fabulous stuff out there – you could just as easily look at any day, any prompt, by just about anyone out there, and have something to think about. I encourage you to do so. Just look out for people typoing “dicembre” which is Italian for December, because you may end up baffled by peoples’ selfies near trees until you notice it – I’ve mentioned in prior Dicember posts here on my blog that this month is driving my phone absolutely nuts! Anyway, I hope you liked these few posts as much as I did, and I hope you’re enjoying the whole month besides. If you’re feeling up to it, join in for the second half alongside all us other nerds out here on the internet doing Dicember!